Sunday, March 9, 2008

Stirling and Edinburgh castles


This weekend I went on a whirlwind tour of two famous Scottish castles: Stirling Castle and Edinburgh Castle. My current boss (also an Ex-Pat from Houston) and I set out on Saturday morning about 8:00 AM for a drive down to Stirling. The weather was less than desirable as it rained almost the entire way, and continued to rain during our guided tour of the castle. The sun did manage to pop out occasionally so that I could snap a picture of the volcanic rock face and the side of the castle.


After leaving Stirling we drove south to Edinburgh (A very interesting city) and walked up to the castle (no small feat as it is some 400 feet above the rest of the city). The rain again decided soak us as we walked around, but occasionally stopped so that I could take a picture or two (Be sure to look at the INCREDIBLE rainbow that appeared over the city just as were leaving the castle!). I can't really describe just how big this castle complex was, but it is easy to imagine having THOUSANDS of guests in the great halls during celebrations. I was able to see the Crown Jewels of Scotland, (known as the "Honours of Scotland") and the "Stone of Destiny" (Look for the Stone of Destiny when Prince Charles is crowned King of England in a few years... it will be placed in a special compartment under the coronation throne).

I apologize for the lack of updates, but I am working double overtime trying to finish this project so I can get back home to my baby :-)

Cheers for now!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Wonderful pictures! Thanks for sharing them with us. It looks like you guys made the most of your time together. I am not that fond of history, but I did enjoy reading about all of the places you have been. Thanks for including the links.
Be Safe.
Love you,
MOM (and Dad, too!)

Jody said...

Hey Guys!
It is so crazy b/c we have stood in the EXACT same places! Crazy! I feel like your pictures are my pictures!! ; ) How fun!
I know you are ready to be back in the great state of TX with your honey! We ALL miss you two! Come see us soon when you get home.

Love and hugs,
all of us