We lost power about 11:00pm on Friday the 12th and on Saturday afternoon we decided to leave to spend the weekend with Natalie's parents. About an hour after we got to David and Deanna's, our sweet little 86 year old neighbor called to tell us that power had been restored to the neighborhood. So we headed back to Houston to prepare for a long day of cleanup.
Natalie and I are very thankful that we managed to dodge a bullet... instead of scooping leaves out of the pool we could have been shoveling mud and water out of our house. There are people that are just 5 miles from us that have no electricity or water and may not have those services restored for many many days. We count our blessings every time we turn on the TV.
We hope that all of you who read this will take some time to volunteer or donate to a charitable organization that is assisting those displaced by hurricane Ike. A quick drive around North West Houston shows that there are MANY people in need of a helping hand right now... I can't even begin to imagine what life is like on the southern side of town or closer to Galveston.
Because I always like to include a picture, here is a shot taken just hours before the hurricane hit... it is the eerily beautiful "calm before the storm".
-Brady
3 comments:
Thanks for the update. We are so grateful for not much damage at your house and no storm for our house.
I know there will be many opportunities for us to help. I can't even imagine what those people who are displaced and have no place to go are going through. I talked to a lady today from Galveston and she said she has only a slab left of her house. She said she is just numb. We can count our blessings!
Love,
Mom/Bendra
We are so very thankful that you guys are o.k.! I agree, it is a terrible terrible sight to see on the news. It really makes you appreciate your blessings. Thanks for that reminder.
Love you guys,
Janell
Brady and Natalie,
We would absolutely love to see you if you are in Calgary! Please keep us posted so we can plan to get together!!
CB
Post a Comment