Friday, February 1, 2008

Wrapping up the week

I haven't been blogging as actively as I thought I would.. sorry about that! Work is keeping me pretty busy as I've just taken on two new projects and my primary project has been pushed back by three weeks due to problems with our vendor.

I'm still getting adjusted to the "little differences" here in the UK. For example: Grocery shopping. To start with, NOTHING is where you would expect it to be, and the names of the actual products are so different that you would NEVER think of asking for it correctly. Who knew that saltine crackers are called "Savory Biscuits", while some cookies are called biscuits, and others are called "digestives". And why *wouldn't* you think to look for the eggs sitting unrefrigerated in the same aisle as the bread? Oh, and all four wheels on the grocery carts swivel... so my cart goes forward and sideways at the same time. By the time I managed to find most everything I needed I discovered that it is up to YOU to bag your own groceries... Ok, The last time I bagged groceries was... never. And if you aren't done bagging by the time you finish paying, the clerk will just sit there and stare at you while the customers behind you start sighing and shifting their weight from foot to foot, looking as if you have just thrown their entire schedule off track.

Eating out is also taking some adjusting. Great Britain is not a "tipping" society, so restaurants typically add 10% to every bill... which means that the waitstaff doesn't really have to try very hard :-) ...and it shows. A normal meal can take upwards of 2 hours to order, eat and pay. One bright side to the whole "tipping" thing is that the bartender at the local pub makes a pretty good wage and doesn't depend on your tips... so he doesn't expect them. That can save 50p per drink (typical tip in the US at a bar).

Driving is surprisingly easy for me... "round abouts" are a lot like freeway driving...you look for an open spot, hit the gas and try not to get hit... just like home :-)

The weather:
It's snowing outside right now and it's FREEZING cold due to the wind coming off the North Sea... and people are telling me only gets worse in February.

I hate to end this post on a sad note, but I recently got news that one of co-workers in our California office was in a terrible car accident this week. He and his family were hit head-on by a drunk driver. his wife was killed instantly, and Bob is in critical condition. His two daughters are going to be OK, but they both suffered minor physical injuries and untold emotional injury. Please keep Bob Griffin and his family in your prayers. I have added a link to the blog started by his church family on the left.

-Brady

2 comments:

Jody said...

Oh Brady... we miss you back here in Texas. We are SO SORRY to hear about your co-worker! He will be in our prayers along with his sweet daughters! WOW. I am so sorry.
Bundle up and stay warm. Only a few more days until Natalie arrives! I can't wait for ya'll to be together again.

Love you bunches~
Janell

Anonymous said...

Hi Brady. Enjoyed the reminders of how the UK is different from the US. Doris and I were there back in 2001 and spent 5 weeks enjoying England and Wales when I was on sabbatical. I loved your grocery store comments. I was amazed that clerks in the grocery store got to sit down while they did their work. Unlike you, I worked in a grocery store when I was in college years ago and sacked groceries and checked out customers. All for the grand wage of $1.65 hr. It is really interesting just to walk around the grocery stores there and see the products and note how they are different from back home. Enjoy some of that Irish butter if you find it. The scones and clotted cream and jam are not too bad either. We became fond of tea time and loved the tea and scones on almost a daily basis. You have to work in your exercise though if you are going to do that. I heard that Natalie has arrived--you guys enjoy the time you have together. Grace and Peace, Jerry Carpenter