Well, this is the first week of what is shaping up to be a LONG 4 months! Work is going well enough, but to quote Vincent Vega: "It's the little differences...". Like: Mustard!!! It's nearly impossible to find over here! The Scots eat mayonnaise and butter on EVERYTHING! I was shopping at Asda (WalMart in the UK) last night, and I saw 14 kinds of mayo, 15 brands of butter, 6 kinds of "pickle spread" and well over a dozen other kinds of "sandwich fillers" (all of which contain... you guessed it... MAYONNAISE!). There was only one lonely little bottle of mustard, and it wasn't even just plain old mustard (Honey butter mustard!).
For an English speaking country these guys are sure hard to understand. I'm going to need to rent Trainspotting and watch it with the subtitles on to brush up on my dialect! There is a tiny little lady who works in the coffee shop at the office, and her accent is so thick that some of the other Scots can't even understand her. Whenever I need to pop down there and get a coffee or sandwich I usually try to go with one of my co-workers so he can translate for me (I am so very serious about this!). I made the mistake on my first trip of just nodding my head whenever she spoke to me and ended up with a sandwich that had: Prawns, pickles, vegetables, mayo AND butter on it (I can't recommend this concoction to anyone).
My Flat (Apartment) is very, very small, but it is fairly modern and very nice inside. There is no dishwasher, so I have the feeling that I will be eating off of a lot of paper plates *grin*. My car is also VERY, VERY small. It's a 6 speed diesel super compact Peugeot... So I'm driving, sitting and shifting on the wrong side. It's an odd feeling to say the least!
But the hardest part by far is being away from Nat!!!
I'll try to update the blog as often as possible, but it may be difficult until I get internet access in my flat next week. Cheers!
-Brady
P.S. here are a couple of pictures of my apartment.
No comments:
Post a Comment