Monday, January 14, 2008

Weekend in the Highlands

Brady here.

Well, I managed to hop out of bed early on Saturday and drive down to the city of Braemar. What an amazing drive into to the beginning of the Scottish highlands! The narrow roads were lined with stone fences, and the further I got from Aberdeen the colder and more rugged it got. I stopped along the way to view Crathes Castle .




While it was quite nice, the famed gardens weren't exactly in bloom this time of year. After slipping and sliding on the ice for about 30 minutes I decided it would be good to get back on the main road towards Braemar. I passed several other castle ruins in hopes that I would have time to see them on my return trip (forgetting that it tends to get dark here around 3:30 in the afternoon).


I drove into Braemar and spent some time just looking around at the shops and taking in the scenery (You can see some of the pictures here.). When it was time for a late lunch I stopped into a nearby pub/coffee shop for quick bite... lo and behold what sat up on the sandwich counter??? A Roast Beef and MUSTARD sandwich!!! I couldn't get my hands on it fast enough! They even had "Streaky Bacon", Lettuce and Tomato (This is really fancy for a BLT... 'regular bacon' over here would be referred to as "pan fried ham" back home).


After a quick snack I shuffled my way back to the car (with a half a piece of Scottish shortbread gently wrapped in some napkins for the trip home) and set off for the flat in Aberdeen.

Cheers for now!

2 comments:

Jody said...

We went to that castle too! It was nice when we went...the gardesn especially but that was in the month of July!
I miss you!
Natalie~ hope you are doing great! Call us sometime when you get a chance. Be safe Brady.

Love you both~
All 4 of us

Anonymous said...

Brady,
The pictures are beautiful.
Thanks for sharing your side trip with us. Be safe. We love you!
MOM and Dad